Vishal Lamba has spent his career studying pharmacotherapy and pharmacology as a research scientist. An area that he has interest in is how to use personalized medicine to improve treatment outcome in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatocellular carcinoma is a type of cancer that starts in your liver. This kind of cancer can be difficult to treat, but if caught early, it has a chance of being cured.
There are many treatments for those who have been diagnosed with hepatocellular carcinoma. Here are the treatments that you should discuss with your doctor to find the right one for your particular situation.
- Radiation kills the cancer cells with the use of high-energy rays. With radiation therapy, you may experience numerous side effects including nausea and vomiting, and fatigue.
- Chemotherapy drugs can be placed directly into your liver. A thin, flexible tube is put in the artery that leads to the liver, delivery a chemo drug combination and a drug that blocks the artery, starving the tumor of blood.
- An alcohol injection uses a thin needle to inject the liver directly with alcohol to destroy the tumor.
- With cryoablation, a thin metal probe is used to freeze the tumor, killing the cancer cells.
- You can undergo surgery to remove the part of the liver that is infected.
- If too much of your liver is affected with cancer, you may have to have a liver transplant.
To make sure you understand all your options, you’ll want to work closely with your doctor to design the right treatment plan for you. Vishal Lamba is a scientist who has been studying the use of personalized medicine in the treatment of numerous diseases including cancer.